Spice up your book clubs with these ideas!
Themes for your book club:
- Periods of time (Modern British Literature, World War 2 era, Roaring ‘20s. etc.)
- Travel (Around the World in 80 books, a book with the setting of each state, etc.)
- Author (Stephen King, Nicolas Sparks, Ray Bradbury, etc.)
- Series (Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc.)
- Genre (YA, New Adult, Mystery, etc.)
- Celebrity Book Clubs
- Gender specific
- Fiction or Non-fiction
- Prize Winning books
- Read through book lists like The Gilmore Girls, 1000 books before I die, BBC list, a scratch off list that you can buy, etc.
- Cinema book club- Only read books that are being made into a movie- then watch the movie and compare.
- Local authors
- Favorite Titles of members
- A trip through history book club
- Cook books
You can also do something like this:
- Craft Book club: while discussing you can knit, scrapbook, etc.
- Literary game book club- You can play a book game every meeting
- Do a related activity that is in the book
- Dress up like your favorite literary character (Great for a Harry Potter Book club)
- Food themed book club- Wine, Beer, tea, finger foods, make something that is similar to the book (if set in Paris, make crepes)
- Field trips: go to places that remind you of the book to discuss or just a restaurant
- Silent book club: discuss it, but also sit quietly and read
- Read anything you want book club- you go to discuss recommendations
- Music themed: each member picks a song that reminds them of something in the book then create a playlist for your club
- Speed dating to choose the next book
- A gift exchange club- you all give each other the gift of a book or each selects a book and just keep passing to one another until all the books are read
There are so many ways to even deliver a book club anymore. Here are some of the ways that I have done them in the past. My life sometimes gets too hectic to discuss in person. So I turn to the internet to find likeminded book nerds!
- Social media groups
- Goodreads discussion or create a group for only your members to discuss online
- Skype all your members and discuss from the comfort of your home
- In person
You can also have pre-determined questions or just have a regular discussion of your book. Let the conversation just flow. I prefer having each member create a question to ask during the meeting.